All you need is 4 basic ingredients and 10 minutes of your time to make these healthy, nutritious, protein packed energy balls. A perfect snack on the go.
How was your healthy January? Did you manage to stick to your new year resolutions, if you happened to make any? Personally, I had the best intentions for Veganuary and Dry January, but… I didn’t quite get there if I’m honest… To me personally, it’s all about striking a balance, nourishing your body with good food and your mind with good thoughts and treating yourself to an occasional glass of wine if you feel like it. As one of my friends says, ‘wine just takes the edge off life a little!’
Anyway, if you’re still on that ‘Healthy 2020’ train, these healthy snack balls are the perfect little energy bites to keep the hunger at bay. It’s like having a bite of a cake minus all those calories from processed sugars and fats of a traditional cake.
Best of all, you’ll only need 4 ingredients & 10 minutes of your time to make them! This is what I call easy, healthy & delicious snack right at your fingertips!
The 4 ingredients you’ll need to make these healthy energy snacks:
- Medjool dates
- Oats (use gluten free if required)
- Peanut butter (make sure it’s 100% natural peanut butter without other additives)
- Maple syrup
How to make 4 ingredient snack balls:
- Soak the medjool dates in boiling hot water for around 5 minutes to soften them up a little
- Add the softened dates, oats, peanut butter and maple syrup in a food processor and process until the mixture binds together, around 3-5mins.
- Roll the balls with your hands until smooth (allow 1 heaped tablespoon per ball) and ta da – your healthy snacks are ready!
You can just stop there and enjoy these balls as they are or you can use a variety of toppings to coat the energy balls in. I chose shredded coconut and shelled hemp seeds but you can use pretty much anything your heart desires:
- Finely chopped nuts (roast nuts if you can, they bring out deeper flavours)
- Seeds (chia seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds)
- Cacao powder
- A drizzle of melted dark chocolate
Once you’ve rolled the energy balls, they will keep in the fridge in the airtight container for 3-5 days, if you can make them last for this long that is! I love snacking on these before or after the gym or if I feel like ‘something sweet’ when my energy levels dip.
Despite a minimal ingredients list, these healthy energy bites are:
- Packed with healthy fats & protein from peanut butter
- Rich in good carbs & fiber from oats and dates, which helps your tummy feel full for longer
- Contain no refined sugars or gluten
- Wholesome & nutritious
- Soft on the inside with a little crunch from the toppings on the outside
If you make these delicious healthy protein snacks, I’d absolutely love to see your take on them and hear your feedback, as always. Be sure to pop your comments in the comment section below and tag me @fit.foodie.nutter on Instagram or Fit Foodie Nutter on Facebook, so I can see all of your mouth-watering masterpieces.
Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and even better, say hi! See you next week my friend.
All you need is 4 basic ingredients and 10 minutes of your time to make these healthy, nutritious, protein packed energy balls. Perfect snack on the go.
- ½ cup medjool dates
- 1 cup (gluten free) oats
- ½ + ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional toppings:
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Shelled hemp seeds
Soak the medjool dates in boiling hot water for around 5 minutes to soften them up a little. Drain and set aside.
Combine the softened & drained dates, oats, peanut butter and maple syrup in a food processor and process until the mixture binds together, around 3-5mins.
Roll the balls with your hands (allow 1 heaped tablespoon per ball) until smooth and ta da – your healthy snacks are ready!
Optional: roll the balls in your chosen toppings until fully coated.
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container. They should keep for 3-4 days.