This apple tart will probably be one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make! Light puff pastry base with a crunchy topping of pumpkin spiced apples. Top with some coconut yoghurt or ice cream for a little more indulgence. Vegan and free from refined sugar.
We’ve had so many apples in our garden this year and one would think that I must/should come up with so many autumn recipes involving apples… but the truth be told, I have been rather lazy [sigh]. You know that feeling when you are so overwhelmed with your personal life that your brain just refuses to be creative. To me, it is a sign to take a little step back from the creative process and let yourself just be. Easier said than done though, right?!
Anyway, I had to somehow use up what seemed to be hundreds of apples in the fruit basket. After a quick glance in the fridge I spotted a shop bought roll of puff pastry (I bought a vegan version of puff pasty to try out) and I thought: ‘That would do!’ 10 minutes later, and my apple tart was going in the oven! No fuss and no messing about! My kind of dessert!
This apple tart is a perfect dessert for any party. You can prepare the topping in advance (just make sure to add a generous squeeze of lemon to stop the apples from browning) and layer the apples into the tart base just before putting it in the oven. 15-20 minutes later and ta da! Your dessert is ready.
Although this apple tart is delicious just as it is on its own, you can also serve it with a dollop of yoghurt (I used coconut yoghurt) or some ice cream if you feel like indulging a little.
My daughter polished off this tart rather quickly, which is always a good sign that the recipe worked well (she’s my harshest critic and I love her for being so honest!)
Enjoy this speedy apple tart. As always, if you recreate my recipe, I’d love it if you left a note to support my blog and tag me on social media @fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter.
Have a great day.
THE EASIEST APPLE TART YOU’LL EVER MAKE (VEGAN)
- 1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry (I used vegan)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (melted) for greasing the tin
- 4-5 apples , cut in half and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Around 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1. Preheat the oven to 190C. 2. Using a pastry brush, grease the tart pan with coconut oil. 3. Cut a big circle from your puff pastry sheet, enough to cover the base of the tart pan. Arrange the pastry circle at the bottom of the pan and gently flatten the pastry with the tips of your fingers, slightly pushing the pastry away from the centre towards the sides, so it forms a short lip around the base. Gently prick the base with a fork. 4. In a medium size bowl, combine sliced apples, lemon juice, spices and sugar and mix well to ensure the apples are well coated. Arrange the apple slices at the base of the pan in a circular shape, so they slightly overlap each other. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the maple syrup over the apples. 5. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Take out of the oven and brush the apples with a little more maple syrup. 6. Serve plain or with a dollop of yoghurt or ice cream.