Pizza night doesn’t have to turn into a cheat night. Make it just as delicious and enjoyable with this healthy family-friendly quinoa & turmeric pizza base. With only 2 ingredients (yes, you’ve heard it right!), it will probably be the easiest pizza base you’ll ever make. This pizza base freezers really well, so you can always make a big batch and stock it in the freezer, ready to be enjoyed later. Vegan & gluten free.
We have a ‘tradition’ in our family that Friday night is always a pizza and movie night. I personally can’t remember the last time I had a shop bought pizza, just because making your own pizza base is so easy and simple and you can tailor it to your own taste.
HOW DO I MAKE 2-INGREDIENT QUINOA PIZZA BASE?
The only preparation required when making this super easy vegan pizza base is soaking quinoa overnight (around 7-8 hours). However, talking about soaking – last week I totally forgot to cover quinoa with water the night before. Instead, I soaked it in hot water (2 to 3 inches above quinoa) for only 2 hours and it still worked great. So, if you’re short of time, you can still work this pizza magic (and no magic wand required by the way…)
The great thing about this pizza base is that you can totally adjust it to your taste buds. If you’re not keen on turmeric, omit it altogether or replace with the herbs of your choice (mixed Italian herbs, smoked paprika or Indian spices work really well).
WHAT PIZZA SAUCE CAN I USE?
For the pizza sauce, I personally like using any kind of pesto, hummus or just tomato puree. If you need some ideas, my recipes below would work really well:
When it comes to toppings, I would let your imagination run free and use whatever toppings you fancy. This time I chose grilled asparagus, tomatoes, rocket salad and toasted pine nuts. My daughter loves making her own pizza with ham and pineapple whilst my partner uses whatever he can find in the fridge (as long as there’s plenty of cheese to cover it all).
The beauty of this pizza is that everyone can make their own, so there won’t be any of ‘Mum, I don’t like this, I don’t like that….’ It’s also a great way of getting the kids involved in the kitchen.
I’m delighted to report that the recipe has been tried and tested for over 50 times (it’s not even an exaggeration) on all the family members, friends and even the attendees of my healthy eating workshop that I presented at the end of last year. Everyone keeps raving about this pizza and I hope you will too.
As always, if you recreate this pizza at home, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them. It gives me so much joy seeing your takes on my recipes!
Wishing you a cosy pizza night.
Pin for later:
TWO-INGREDIENT QUINOA PIZZA BASE (VEGAN, GF)
For pizza base:
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked overnight & rinsed (*see post)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder (or herbs of your choice)
- Salt & pepper to taste
For pizza sauce:
- Refer to post for suggested recipes
For pizza toppings:
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 7-8 green asparagus spears
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh rocket salad (arugula)
- Optional: toasted pine nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan and line the baking tray with parchment paper. You might want to spray the paper with a little oil to stop the pizza base from sticking.
- Place soaked and rinsed quinoa in a food processor. Add turmeric (if using) and salt & pepper and blend for around 5 minutes until smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking tray lined with parchment paper and spread it in a circle shape with the back of a spoon (I make my base about half an inch thick). Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- In the meantime, place asparagus and cherry tomatoes on a separate baking tray. Season with olive oil, salt & pepper and place in the oven for around 8-10 minutes.
- When the pizza base is ready, remove from the oven, spread with a generous layer of pesto (or whichever sauce you’re using), top with roasted vegetables, fresh rocket salad and toasted pine nuts.