This healthy sugar free banana & raspberry loaf cake is probably one the easiest vegan cakes you’ll ever make and only requires a handful of ingredients to prepare. A perfect afternoon snack to accompany your cup of tea, especially when you serve it with a generous dollop of nut butter, just for good measure!
How was your Easter weekend? We had some incredibly stunning hot weather here in the UK and spent the majority of it out and about hunting for Easter chocolate eggs, playing on the beach and ‘picnic-ing’ to our hearts’ content whilst the good weather lasted (it’s all due to change back to rain soon!)
When celebrating Easter in Russia as a child, I remember my mum baking traditional Russian Easter cake known as ‘kulich’ the night before Easter, when everyone was asleep and it was all tranquil and quiet in the kitchen. Descending to the kitchen in the morning, to see freshly baked cakes and coloured eggs (which is another Russian tradition – to colour hard boiled eggs for Easter), was a real joy. Traditionally, we would take the Easter cakes to the church to get blessed by the priest before they could be eaten but my mum would always save me a little cake to try before the church – I was far too impatient to wait!
This year my mum was visiting us for Easter and we had all the intentions of baking the tradition ‘kulich’ but the dough needs a lot of attention with proving, kneading and what not, so I decided something quick and easy would have to do instead. That’s how this moist banana & raspberry loaf cake was born.
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY VEGAN BANANA & RASPBERY LOAF
The recipe for this healthy banana & raspberry vegan loaf is so easy that anyone can make it, even if you have zero baking skills. It’s just a matter of mixing dry & wet ingredients, combining them together and ‘handing them over’ to the oven.
As you’ll see from the recipe, I didn’t use any additional sweeteners, as bananas already make it quite sweet, whilst raspberries add a slight ‘tarty’ flavour to this vegan bake. However, if you prefer your cake on the sweeter side, just add a few tablespoons of maple syrup or any other sweetener of your choice.
I’d really recommend serving this moist and slightly crunchy banana & raspberry loaf warm with a generous dollop of nut butter to guarantee a ‘cake heaven experience’.
If you’d like to try some other delicious bakes from my blog, check out
If you give this healthy banana & raspberry loaf a try, do let me know how you get on with it. I’d love it if you dropped a comment below and tag me on Instagram (@fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter), so I can see your take on this recipe.
Have a great week.
Pin for later:
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 ripe bananas , mashed
- ½ cup plant milk of choice
- ¼ cup coconut oil , melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup roughly chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- A handful of almond flakes
- Optional: maple syrup to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan. Grease a loaf tin with a little coconut oil, line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine mashed bananas, milk, coconut oil & vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Add the wet mixture into the bowl with flour and stir until all lumps have been removed. Mix in chopped hazelnuts and raspberries (and additional maple syrup if you prefer your cake a little sweeter).
3. Transfer the cake mixture into the loaf tin, sprinkle almond flakes over the top of the cake and bake for 45-55mins or until the cake skewer comes out clean. Enjoy fresh out of the oven whilst it’s still warm with a generous spread of nut butter, just for good measure!