These beetroot waffles are a great way to sneak in some extra veggie goodness into your meal. You can eat them with sweet or savoury toppings, which makes these waffles a perfect breakfast or lunch meal. Gluten & dairy free and can be made vegan friendly too.
Let’s talk about beetroot. I know a few people find its earthy flavour a bit too harsh and at times too overpowering, but I personally have a very affectionate relationship with this nature’s superfood. Growing up in Russia, it was one of the most commonly used ingredients in my mum’s humble kitchen, so I learned to love it from a very young age, whether it was served in the traditional Russian soup known as ‘borsch’ or in a family-favourite Christmas salad.
Being a great source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, beetroot is easily accessible and affordable, which makes this purple health-food titan a great ingredient for family meals, such as these beetroot waffles. I don’t find the beetroot flavour too overpowering in this recipe, so do give it a try – it’s a great way of sneaking in some vegetables in your and your kids’ breakfast.
These waffles freeze really well, so I tend to make a batch of them and keep in the freezer for when I’m too rushed to cook breakfast (just warm them up for a few minutes in the microwave or in the oven after taking them out of the freezer). I love serving them with a drizzle of candida friendly carob syrup (which I only recently discovered during my trip to Cyprus) and berries, whilst my family go mad for maple syrup, bananas and nut butter – each to their own I suppose.
I bake my waffles in the oven in silicone moulds (I’m using these ones), which doesn’t require additional oil and makes these waffles a healthy fat free breakfast option.
I hope you do enjoy the recipe and I’d love to hear from you, especially if I have managed to turn you into a ‘beetroot converter’!
BEETROOT WAFFLES (GLUTEN & DAIRY FREE)
- 2 small beets, cooked & roughly diced
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg or chia/flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds to 3 tbsp water)
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp plant milk of choice
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice (like coconut sugar or xylitol for candida friendly version)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 170C (for fan assisted ovens).
- 2. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until everything is well combined.
- 3. Pour the mixture in the silicone waffle moulds and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the oven and gently de-mould the waffles. Place them back on a baking try and return to the oven for a further 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on the waffles to make sure they don't go too brown.
- 5. Serve with your favourite toppings and enjoy!