Light, soft, chocolatey – eating these waffles is just like indulging in the good old Bounty chocolate bar, only a healthier version of it. These chocolate protein waffles are perfect for a weekend brunch, as well as a great postworkout snack. Gluten free, dairy free and vegan friendly.
Guess what? I’ve finally given in and bought myself a waffle maker… It only took me a few months but I started getting too impatient using the waffle silicon molds and wait for them to bake in the oven (although those beetroot waffles were totally worth it, I must say).
As usual, this recipe takes minutes to put together. Turn on your waffle iron whilst you’re making the batter (it saves those precious minutes, especially if you’re as impatient as I am). The chocolate protein powder I used in this recipe doesn’t contain any sugar, so I had to add a little bit of maple syrup to counter balance the bitterness of the chocolate protein powder. If your protein powder is sweet enough, omit using the sweetener all together (you can taste the batter to adjust the sweetness to your liking).
If you’ve tried this recipe, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments, they would really make my day.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Bounty-licious chocolate protein waffles (gluten free, dairy free, vegan)
- 3 tsp ground linseed (flaxseed)
- 5 tsp water
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp chocolate protein powder of choice
- 3 tsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 x ¼ cups plant milk of choice
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1. Mix ground linseed with water and set aside for around 3 minutes to allow the mixture to gel.
- 2. Turn on the waffle maker and allow it to heat up to the right temperature.
- 3. In a small jug or bowl mix the rest of the ingredients. Add the linseed and water mixture and mix well. Use a ladle when pouring the mixture into the waffle maker.
- 4. When the waffles are ready, garnish with your choice of toppings. I topped mine with seasonal figs, pomegranate, pecan nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.