This protein and fiber rich pumpkin porridge is a perfect autumnal breakfast to keep you warm and your tummy satisfied for longer. Vegan and gluten free.
Well, hello October and hello ALL THINGS PUMPKIN! I don’t know about you but I personally love pumpkin a lot, so seeing an abundance of recipes on Instagram and Pinterest incorporating this autumnal super vegetable makes my heart very content.
This plump nutritional plant is packed with fiber, potassium and vitamin C, which all support heart health. So, my personal rule of thumb this October is ‘never enough pumpkin’… I might change my opinion come November, but for now the pumpkin is firmly staying on the menu in our household! I like making big batches of pumpkin puree by roasting pumpkin in the oven with a little drizzle of olive oil and blitzing it in the food processor. The puree will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for a good 10-12 months.
I personally don’t think there’s never right or wrong time to have porridge for breakfast but as soon as the weather starts getting colder, there’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of hot cozy porridge.
I made this pumpkin porridge extra nutritious and by adding quinoa, which is naturally rich in protein. If you’re not keen on quinoa, you can by all means replace it with oats (which will also reduced the cooking time).
HOW TO SERVE PUMPKIN PORRIDGE
When it comes to pumpkin porridge toppings, I like keeping my autumnal toppings rather simple – a handful of pecan nuts and a generous drizzle of maple syrup were the perfect finishing touches to give this autumnal porridge some extra texture and smokey sweetness. You can by all means use whichever toppings you like best. Let your imagination run wild…
If you’d like some more autumnal inspiration, check out
- My best yet butternut squash pancakes (vegan)
- Squash, sage & wild mushroom risotto
- Easy butternut squash & chickpea stew
- Super easy one pot squash & sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash hummus
So, on this note I’ll pass you straight on to the recipe. As always, if you recreate this cozy pumpkin porridge, I’d love to hear your feedback. Drop a comment here on the blog, tag me on Instagram @fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter, Pinterest or Facebook.
Have a great day.
COZY PUMPKIN PORRIDGE (VEGAN, GF)
- 1 cup dairyfree milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup quinoa , washed and rinsed
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup oats (gluten free if necessary)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- Maple syrup to taste (around 2-3tbsp)
- Pecan nuts to serve
- Combine milk and water in a small saucepan and heat up over a medium heat. When boiling, add quinoa, ginger, cloves, turmeric, nutmeg and cinnamon, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add oats and pumpkin puree and cook for a further 5-8 minutes until the desired consistency is reached. Mix in the maple syrup (around 2-3 tbsp) and sprinkle with pecan nuts just before serving.