These fluffy vegan gingerbread pancakes will be a festive breakfast hit amongst your family and friends over the Christmas season. Be warned – they might be asking for seconds! Vegan and free from refined sugar.
This will probably be one of the shortest blog posts I’ve written but…it’s 4 days till Christmas (4 days people!) and I’m nowhere near as ready as I should be. I look at all the organised mums (who have got their Christmas presents wrapped, house cleaned, freezer stocked up, etc) with a real sense of admiration. This year I’m probably one of the least organised people ever (I ordered my last present 10 minutes ago, you’ll be shocked to know). For some personal reasons, festive season feels a bit of an inconvenience this year (I sound like a proper bah humbug) but I’m really looking forward to having a break, putting my camera down, spending precious time with family and friends and disconnecting from the online world for a few days.
These festive gingerbread pancakes have been on the menu in our household for a few weeks now. If you like winter spices and flavours, I dare to vouch you’ll be making these fluffy festive pancakes for friends and family again and again.
To make these gingerbread pancakes slightly more festive, you can always add a dash of rum or any favourite festive tipple into the pancake batter (just remember to serve them to adults only in this case!)
I chose to serve these festive pancakes with warm cranberry a maple sauce (just mix the maple syrup and cranberries together and microwave for 30-60 seconds to allow the cranberries to ‘pop’) but you can serve them with any other toppings of your choice – yoghurt, fruit, berries.
As always, if you have a go at making these festive gingerbread pancakes, I’d love you to drop a comment in the comment section below and tag me on Instagram @fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter so I can see your take on them.
Wishing you and your families a wonderful Christmas and a very healthy, successful, fulfilling and abundant new year.
Thank you for stopping by.
FAMILY FAVOURITE GINGERBREAD PANCAKES (VEGAN)
- 1 egg or chia egg (1 tbsp milled chia seeds mixed with 3tbsp water)
- 2 x 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp xylitol (or to taste)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp water
- Coconut oil for frying
- A small handful of cranberries and 5-6 tbsp maple syrup to serve
- 1. For vegan version, prepare the chia egg by mixing 1tbsp milled chia seeds with 3 tbsp water. Set aside.
- 2. Combine milk and apple cider vinegar, mix well and set aside to let the liquid curdle slightly to resemble buttermilk consistency.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, xylitol (or sugar), baking powder and all the spices and mix well. Add (chia) egg, the ‘buttermilk mixture’, vanilla extract and water into the bowl and stir until smooth. If the batter looks too thick, add a little dash of water to loosen it up a little. You’re looking for rather firm batter to allow the pancakes to hold up.
- 4. Grease a pan with coconut oil. Fry the pancakes over medium heat for 1-2mins on each side until cooked through.
- 5. To make a warm cranberry ‘sauce’, in a small bowl mix in 5-6 tbsp maple syrup with a small handful of cranberries. Microwave for 30-60sweconds until the cranberries ‘pop’. Pour the cranberry ‘sauce’ over the pancakes and enjoy whilst still warm.